The holiday season has arrived, and are starting to think about what to give their loved ones. Problem is, much of what we have, and what we receive as gifts, ends up becoming clutter. SpareFoot.com, the place to find the best deal on storage, released holiday gifting survey results showing that around 80 percent of the population would rather receive experience-based gifts. They say they never use at least some of the gifts they receive each year. On average, more than one in four gifts go unused!
Tips to ensure the holidays don’t leave your loved ones with a bunch of unused clutter include:
- Ask for their wish list
- Give experiences – spa services, concert tickets, yoga classes, a restaurant gift certificate, or a museum membership
- Give perishables like a gift basket of exotic or special foods, or even a food or wine of the month subscription
- Send a card with a message of genuine love and friendship
- Give to a charity that is meaningful to them in their name
- Take a trip – instead of gifts, pool the money together that would have been spent on gifts and go away together.
- If you think they would enjoy it, buy them a session with a professional organizer or personal stylist
- An Amazon Prime or Netflix membership can be a great gift — just check with the recipient first!