Jentri Quinn and Chef Alex shared some tips on how to add a healthy twist to some classic Italian dishes on a budget!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cookie Sheet Pan, Parchment Paper
- Pasta of choice (any pasta will do!!)
- Veggies (we typically enjoy using carrots, mushrooms, red peppers, and onions, but love to change it up with other veggies, too, like zucchini, squash, carrots and yellow peppers as shown below!)
- Tomato sauce
- Spices, EVOO, herbs of choice, red pepper flakes if you like a little heat like us (optional)
- Cut all of the veggies up into small strips and bake on your cookie sheet — depending on how thinly you chop them– for 20 minutes on around 400 degrees should do (up to 420 degrees, depending on how hot your oven gets).
- Boil pasta until it’s “al dente” – follow instructions for the time.
- Drain pasta and set aside one cup of (cooking) water.
- In the same (pasta) pot, add a little bit of EVOO and chopped clove of garlic and let it cook for two minutes on a low temperature (be careful to not burn the garlic) then add sauce and cook for another two minutes.
- Add pasta to your sauce, along with the cup of water you put aside and mix together.
- Add veggies to your pot (with all the juices from the tray) and mix it all together slowly so the veggies don’t fall apart.
- Put the lid on the pot and turn off your burner. Let it rest for 4-5 minutes, serve and Mangia!
- Dust with parmesan for extra flavor if you prefer!
- Pro Tip: If you don’t have tomato sauce, you can use cherry tomatoes! Just slice and cook them with your veggies (as shown below) and they will melt into your pasta to form a light sauce.
Here’s what you’ll need: (quantity varies, depending on how many people you’re serving)
- Baking Pan
- No Boil Lasagna Sheets (for the quick recipe!!)
- Veggies – Mushrooms, Spinach, garlic
- Cheese (parmesan, mozzarella or vegan)
- Spices: paprika, salt, pepper, nutmeg
- Pre-made Cashew sauce (vegan option) or Bechamel Sauce (for quick recipe)
- In a pan, begin sauteing mushrooms and spinach with EVOO and salt and pepper for ten minutes.
- Add sauce of your choice and mix together.
- Begin to assemble your lasagna by putting a little EVOO and water on the bottom of your baking pan.
- Aiming for 3-4 layers: Place Lasagna sheets down in the pan and pour the sauce over the sheets, then sprinkle with cheese. Repeat the process until it’s all gone. Sprinkle parmesan (optional) or vegan mozzarella on the very top and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Let it rest 10-15 minutes before serving.
For more information go to JentriQuinn.com.