AUSTIN (KXAN) — The stretch of five games in 10 days started Saturday for the Texas Longhorns. The pivotal point of the Texas basketball season started with a 70-55 win over TCU.
Shaka Smart’s No. 13 Longhorns went on a 11-0 run in the second half to finish off a complete win over the Horned Frogs. Andrew Jones finished with 19 points to lead the game. Matt Coleman had 15 points.
The Longhorns are 13-5 and 7-4 in Big 12 play while TCU drops to 11-8, 4-6 in the Big 12. This was the first meeting of the season between the two schools after their Jan. 23 game in Fort Worth was postponed because of COVID-19 issues in the TCU program.
Next week, Texas will play OU on Tuesday, Iowa State on Thursday, West Virginia on Saturday and Kansas on Feb. 23.
COVID-19 issues at other programs forced the schedule shuffle. Texas’ original game at Iowa State on Jan. 20 was postponed due to Big 12 protocols.
Observations – TCU vs. Texas
- TCU didn’t get closer than 10 the rest of the way.
- TCU cut the deficit to 51-47. From there, Texas scored 11 straight over the next four minutes, pushing a close game into a 62-47 UT lead.
- Over the next three minutes of game time, the Longhorns defense stopped TCU on four straight possessions. 49-41 Texas with 11 minutes to go.
- Matt Coleman and Andrew Jones have 27 of the 47 Texas points. Longhorns lead 47-41.
- TCU opens the second half with a strong effort. Horned Frogs open with 12-8 run.
- Halftime: Texas takes a 37-29 lead into the locker room with Jones leading the way. Jones finished 6-of-9 shooting for 13 points.
- This is the way the Longhorns want to play offense. Great passing from Jericho Sims to Kai Jones.
- Texas has turned up its defensive pressure. During a late stretch of the first half, TCU went 0-for-8 shooting while Texas built a 30-21 lead with three minutes to go in the half.
- Andrew Jones started slow Tuesday night at Kansas State. Not the case on Saturday. Jones has been aggressive at the rim, scoring 11 points to lead all scorers.
- Under 12 TV timeout: Longhorns just got a huge dunk from Andrew Jones. Texas leads 18-15.
- Longhorns coach Shaka Smart has been focusing on the team’s defense over the last few weeks, due to a slide on that side of the ball. TCU is shooting above 50% in the first 10 minutes of the game, but the Longhorns look better.
- This should wake the Longhorns up. Jericho Sims is in good form. He’s got six points early.
- Slow start for the Longhorns as TCU built up a 5-0 lead. Longhorns opened their first three possessions with turnovers.