AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Ascension Seton Austin Marathon, Half Marathon and KXAN Simple Health 5K are winding through the streets of Austin Sunday.
The Austin Marathon started in 1992. Since then, the race reports the Austin Marathon has grown to be the 25th largest in the United States. More than 17,000 runners will participate and see Austin landmarks along the route.
“They race along open roads that pass iconic landmarks such as UT Tower, The I Love You Mural and Lady Bird Lake,” the marathon’s website said. “Runners enjoy miles of Austin unique neighborhoods such as South Congress and Hyde Park and are greeted by cheering crowds. As they close in on the finish line in front of the Texas State Capitol on historic Congress Ave the action is captured by Live coverage and displayed on jumbotrons in the festival.”
- Local priest aims to set world record — more for style than speed — at Austin Marathon
- Why he runs: Dad conquers Austin Marathon for 15th time to honor his sons
- Ironman triathlete, now paralyzed, takes on racing again with the Austin Marathon
- Why downtown’s iconic Paramount Theatre benefits from Austin Marathon 5K
- How the Austin Marathon helps this charity raise $20-30K to save dogs