NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas (KXAN) — Troopers have identified the passengers aboard the First Baptist Church of New Braunfels bus who were killed in Wednesday’s deadly crash as the group drove back following a retreat.
According to DPS, the deceased on the bus are:
- Murray William Barrett, 67, of New Braunfels
- Howard Bryan Allen, 81, of New Braunfels
- Rhonda Barlow Allen, 61, of New Braunfels
- Harold Boyd Barber, 87 of New Braunfels
- Margaret Robinson Barber, 82, of New Braunfels
- Cristie Claire Moore, 68, of Cibolo, Texas
- Donna Elizabeth Hawkins, 69, of Schertz, Texas
- Avis Scholl Banks, 83, of Austin
- Mildred Godlettt Rosamond, 87 of New Braunfels
- Addie Maurine Schmeltekopf, 84, of New Braunfels
- Sue Wynn Tysdal, 76, of New Braunfels
- Martha Holcomb Walker, 84, of New Braunfels
- Dorothy Fern Vulliet, 84 of New Braunfels
Rose Mary Harris, 64, of New Braunfels is in fair condition following the crash.
The driver of the pickup truck which troopers say struck the bus was identified as 20-year-old Jack Dillon Young. He was flown to University Hospital in San Antonio where he is listed in serious condition.
The senior pastor of the church, Brad McLean, said the adult choir group spent a few days at the retreat singing and enjoying time together, as well has having Bible study. McLean said a total of 65 parishioners attended the retreat but only 14 rode the bus. “I know these individuals. They’d confessed Christ as Lord and savior of their life. We can rejoice in that, but the difficult part is family and friends who are left behind.”
During a news conference on Thursday, McLean said he is also praying for the truck driver’s family. “As believers in Christ, we need to show them grace and pray for them as well because of what they are suffering.”