Two Austin fires linked to people trying to stay warm overnight

News

AUSTIN (KXAN) – On a night in Austin where temperatures dropped into the low 40s, firefighters had to put out two fires overnight.

One fire broke out at a home at 2704 Westlake Drive in west Austin before 11 p.m. Thursday. According to Austin firefighters, it started in a chimney and extended into the attic.

AFD said it started accidentally because the chimney’s flue insert had been installed too closely to combustibles. The fire caused $80,000 in damage. Two adults are displaced because the fire knocked out the electricity.

  • AFD put out a fire caused by a faulty chimney flue at a home on Westlake Drive late Thursday night. (AFD photo)
  • AFD responded to a fire at 5602 Clay Ave. early Friday morning (AFD photo)
  • AFD responded to a fire at 5602 Clay Ave. early Friday morning (AFD photo)
  • AFD put out a fire caused by a faulty chimney flue at a home on Westlake Drive late Thursday night. (AFD photo)

Around 5 a.m. firefighters went to a building at 5602 Clay Avenue. That’s near Burnet Road and Koenig Lane. The fire started at a commercial building. Someone had been living in a unit of the warehouse.

While the cause is still being determined, AFD told KXAN it suspects the fire started with a space heater. Paramedics evaluated the person who had been living in the building, they have been released. The fire was contained to one unit.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Austin-Travis County

Tracking the Coronavirus

Coronavirus Cases Tracker

Latest Central Texas COVID-19 Cases

Trending Stories

Don't Miss