DALLAS (NBC News) — Set aside your diet for a moment. You’re about to be treated to a visual feast.
As you can imagine, the Texas State Fair is home to some “big” food finds, and every year the folks who bring in those concessions face off to be recognized as the best.
The ten finalists in the 14th annual Big Tex Choice Awards were presented Wednesday.
These finalists were narrowed down from 49 entries represented by 30 concessionaires.
Each entry is evaluated on uniqueness, creativity, presentation and taste.
Finalists included the “cotton candy taco,” a “deep fried skillet potato melt in a boat,” and “fernie’s orange you glad we fried it?”
The top ten will present their creations to a panel of judges who will determine the winners for one of three coveted titles: “Best Taste-Sweet”, “Best Taste-Savory” And “Most Creative”.
The Big Tex Choice Awards will take place on August 26th.
2018 SAVORY FINALISTS
- DEEP FRIED SHEPHERD’S PIE by Clint Probst
- TEXAS FRIED HILL COUNTRY by Rudy and Justin Martinez
- TEXAS TWANG-KIE by Chris & Sherry Howard
- DEEP FRIED SKILLET POTATO MELT IN A BOAT by Tom Grace
- FERNIE’S HOPPIN’ JOHN CAKE WITH JACKPOT SAUCE by Winter Family Concessions
2018 SWEET FINALISTS
- COTTON CANDY TACO by Justin and Rudy Martinez
- FERNIE’S ORANGE YOU GLAD WE FRIED IT?! by Winter Family Concessions
- ARROZ CON LECHE (SWEET CRISPY RICE) by Garza Family
- STATE FAIR FUN-L CAKE ICE CREAM by Tom Landis
- SWEET BAKIN’ BACON by Ed & Eddie Campbell