Person dies in Corpus Christi after infection from bacteria in Gulf

Texas
Medical-doctors-office-heal_155521

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) — South Texas health officials say a person died after becoming infected with bacteria while wade fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

Health officials said Tuesday that the person was hospitalized with severe leg pain after going into the water with skin tears. Measures taken to fight the infection included amputation.

The Corpus Christi-Nueces County Public Health District says vibrio bacteria naturally inhabit coastal waters where oysters live. The bacteria can enter the body through an open wound or by consuming raw or undercooked shellfish.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths each year in the U.S. 

Dr. Emilie Prot with the Texas Department of State Health Services says there’s a larger amount of the bacteria present in summer months.

Last summer, a Texas woman died after getting flesh-eating bacteria from raw oyster she caught in Louisiana. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Clear the Shelters

More Clear the Shelters

Trending Stories

Don't Miss