Baby dies after being left in hot car while father went to work

Texas
Sunshine-solar-power-energy_155968

A 6-month-old Texas girl died from heat exhaustion after accidentally being left in her father’s car for hours Wednesday.

Eagle Pass police say they responded to the Eagle Pass High School parking lot around 4:30 p.m. for a report of a child inside a car with its windows closed.

Emergency crews took the child out, gave her oxygen and tried to resuscitate her as they rushed her to the hospital, where she died. 

Authorities say the baby’s father works at the high school and initial information indicates he forgot to take the child to day care and left her inside the car while he was at work. KXAN’s First Warning Weather Team says the high in Eagle Pass Wednesday was 100 degrees.

No charges have been filed at this time, but the Eagle Pass Police Department says they are still investigating. 

According to Kids and Cars, six children across the country have died this year after being left in hot cars. This is the first hot car death in Texas this year. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss