Woman develops meat allergy after tick bite

National News

ROANOKE, Va. (WSLS) — A woman in Roanoke, Virginia developed a meat allergy after being bitten by a tick in 2015. 

“Two hours after I had a hamburger I started breaking out in hives,” Linda Wilson said.

Dr. Saju Eapen, who specializes in asthma and allergies, said the symptoms are varied. 

“People are bitten all the time. They can get many different problems with tick bites, like Lyme disease, or develop an allergy to red meats. You can get simple symptoms, such as hives and itching, but it can also lead to severe allergies and even death,” Eapen said.

Here are some tips to avoid tick bites:

  • Avoid tick-infested areas such as tall grass
  • Walk in the center of trails and avoid brushing against weeds
  • Keep grass and underbrush cut and thin
  • Use insect repellents 
  • Shower soon after coming back inside
  • Check your clothes and body for ticks 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Election Coverage

More 2020 Primary Runoff

Latest Central Texas COVID-19 Cases

More Coronavirus Live Blogs

Trending Stories

Don't Miss