SAVANNAH, Ga. (KXAN) — A TSA officer jumped into action when a bag going through the security checkpoint started smoking.
Black smoke suddenly poured from the green backpack on July 20, prompting a passenger to call out for help. The newly-released video shows TSA Officer Darrell Wade grabbing it carefully and jogging out of the area, bringing it to a safe place outside the terminal.
Local law enforcement determined a vape battery malfunctioned and caused the fire. It did not damage any security equipment and no one was hurt.
E-cigarettes, vaporizers and vape pens are not allowed in checked baggage, and the TSA says this is a good reminder of why that’s the case.