AUSTIN (KXAN) — The man who police say opened fire on a crowded East Sixth Street killing a woman and injuring four others in the summer of 2016 is facing a jury in his murder trial.

Endicott McCray, 26, is charged with one count of murder in the death of Teqnika Marie Moultrie and four counts of aggravated assault for the other victims’ injuries. The trial, which started Tuesday morning, is being held in Judge Cliff Brown’s court.

According to court records, McCray got into a fight with his brother-in-law during the early morning hours of July 31, 2016. A friend of McCray’s wife says a group of them were out when she saw McCray’s wife’s brother “shove” McCray. In response, witnesses say McCray pulled out a handgun that he had in his waistband and pointed the gun at his brother-in-law. Police say he fired one shot into the ground, then raised the firearm, turned it sideways and fired “up to four more gunshots.”

Teqnika Marie Moultrie, second from right, with her friends the night she was killed. (Trial Photo)

McCray was arrested a few days later in Atlanta, Ga. 

The jury heard testimony from multiple police officers and detectives who investigated the scene. One of the officers described the scene as chaotic. “We generally do things in order, like a, b, and c. That day everything was just backwards,” said one of the officers on the stand.

Timothy Volking says he invited Moultrie to Austin last summer to see the town because she was thinking of moving to Texas from California. Volking says the group did everything signature to Texas, they tubed the Comal River, ate barbeque and then went to Sixth Street for drinks. When they were ready to head home, they stopped by Voodoo Doughnut. “I remember waiting in a very long line,” he said.

Security camera video played by the state shows the group walking out of Voodoo Doughnut and then walking down the sidewalk. Moultrie, 33, can be seen walking between her wife and Volking when she looks to her left and immediately falls to the ground. Moultrie’s wife and Volking run ahead before quickly turning around to see Moultrie on the ground. The two then kneel beside her and try to help.

Keith Pinkard with the Travis County Medical Examiner’s Office said Moultrie died from a gunshot wound to the head and neck.

The jury wrapped up its first day of the trial just before 4 p.m.; they will start again Wednesday morning with more witness testimony at 9 a.m.