AUSTIN (KXAN) — Even though Donald J. Trump received the most nominations as one of the names to replace Robert E. Lee Elementary School, the Lee Elementary School’s Campus Advisory Council will not be considering that name as a viable option.
Out of hundreds of potential names submitted, the council identified eight names for the renaming of Lee Elementary School. From the eight, the council will submit three of these names to the Austin Independent School District Board on May 3, which is scheduled to take action on a new name on May 23.Possible Names:
- Barbara Smith Conrad: Internationally acclaimed African-American opera star who completed her studies at the University of Texas despite discrimination-based setbacks
- Bettie Mann: Beloved former Lee Elementary School teacher of more than 35 years and first African-American educator at Lee Elementary School
- Elisabet Ney: Celebrated sculptor and neighborhood resident who immigrated from Germany and is the subject of a popular local museum
- Harper Lee: Iconic American novelist best known for, To Kill a Mockingbird
- Kenneth Ragsdale: Former Austin Independent School District director of music and founder of the band program at Lee Elementary School
- Russell Lee: Neighborhood resident, founding University of Texas Photography professor and critically acclaimed depression-era photographer
- Waller Creek: Notable local geographic feature shared by neighborhoods served by Lee Elementary School
- Wheeler’s Grove: Original name of Eastwoods Park, a longtime Juneteenth celebration site and gathering space for historic freedman’s community
The discussion on whether or not to rename Lee Elementary School started last June, after the deadly shooting at a black church in Charleston, S.C.
For a full list of names submitted by the public, click here.