ROUND ROCK, Texas (KXAN) — After days of rain, pet owners are probably anxious to take their dogs out for a walk, but there are a few things you should keep an eye on. Veterinarians say they’re seeing more dogs and cats in their office because of mushrooms popping up after it rains.
“When they came, they seemed to come quickly. They were yellow mushrooms and I don’t know if they were good or not, but I don’t take chances with them,” said dog owner Joe Chateau.
Veterinarians say some mushrooms can cause your dog or cat to have a stomach ache, but it’s hard to tell which are toxic, so dogs should just avoid them altogether.
“Actually, the appointment I just stepped out of we talked about this, that potentially that dog could have eaten some mushrooms, he’s definitely having an upset stomach and that could be from eating mushrooms,” said Firehouse Veterinarian Hunter Bowen.
However, Bowen says it could also be from a number of other things that come after the rain.
“There’s also a lot of runoff that gets into streams and all the places that people like to take their dogs to play in the water in Austin can carry things from livestock pastures and just land that’s not ever controlled or treated for parasites,” he said. “It doesn’t necessarily crop up while it’s raining, it’s like today, the first nice day after it’s raining that we’ll see pets come in with upset stomachs.”
The best tip is for pet owners to err on the safe side, and be a little more cautious while everything dries out.
“When I see them I dig them up right away and chop them up so they don’t eat them,” said Chateau. “They do like to eat the grass, so I just thought I would be careful.”
If you think your pet did eat a toxic mushroom, veterinarians suggest you take them in for a checkup. They say they can determine pretty quickly if there is a serious problem.