GEORGETOWN, Texas (KXAN) — A candlelight vigil was held Tuesday night at San Gabriel Park for the 75 pets lost in a weekend fire at a Georgetown pet boarding facility.
The accidental fire happened Saturday night at Ponderosa Pet Resort. The Georgetown Fire Department says the animals likely died from smoke inhalation.
Groomers in the Georgetown community rallied around those affected by the tragedy at the vigil. One groomer says a pet she used to groom died in the fire.
“I have just one, but it hit really hard, because it was a very regular client that I saw very often…. and I just really feel for all the families. I’m like heartbroken,” Laura Thames with Lady in Pink Grooming said.
Michelle Munoz with Pit Stop Grooming says they wanted to make sure the families felt supported during this difficult time.
“For the families really to know that they’re supported by their community, that we’re here for them, they’re not alone in grieving… we just want them to feel the love and the comfort the best they can,” she explained.
The owner of the pet resort says he is working with a local veterinarian to make sure all 59 families that were affected get their pets’ remains however they wish.
The vigil began at 8 p.m. near the red and green poppy playground. More information can be found on the Facebook page dedicated to the animals lost in the fire.