WEST LAKE HILLS, Texas (KXAN) — Traffic on Bee Cave Road is already congested and it’s about to get a bit more crowded as road crews plan to close one lane of the road all week.
The affected area will include the eastbound lanes from Walsh Tarlton Lane to Beaver Trail and Camp Craft Road to Westlake Drive. It’s part of the Texas Department of Transportation’s bigger project to ease traffic on that road.
For area businesses, the ongoing three-year project has had an impact. Cynde ONeill, owner of Wild Birds Unlimited, says customers have trouble getting into her store.
Safety drums, cones and markers surround the business, causing problems for customers.
“A lot of the construction has a lot of disgruntled customers coming in because of it,” she said.
Businesses line the three-mile stretch of road currently under construction.
“Pretty much every single customer coming in is explaining to us how much they hate the traffic and how much they’re trying to avoid this entire area,” ONeill added.
About 25,000 drivers travel daily on Bee Cave Road according to the Texas Department of Transporation. Officials expect traffic congestion to increase by more than 8,000 cars each day in the next 10 years.
Because of the heavy traffic and ongoing construction, ONeill said they’ve noticed a change in the way people shop.
“We’re getting a lot more of the online orders now,” she said and mentioned she also noticed the customers who do stop by load up and buy more than usual to avoid coming back sooner.
“Sometimes during the day, it’ll go down to just two lanes, one going one way and one going the other way, and sadly, that puts backup for a couple of miles sometimes and we’ll go an hour and a half to two hours with any customers at all,” she said.
However, ONeill is hopeful the finish line is in sight.
“Don’t give up,” she said. “It’ll be done as soon as they can.”
Crews have been working in the area since Nov. 2016 and transportation officials expect work to finally be complete by the end of 2019.
Starting Monday, drivers can expect the closure from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and it’ll last until Thursday.
Work on Bee Cave Road:
- Installing storm sewer east of Westlake Drive
- Constructing retaining walls and sidewalks in various locations from Westlake Drive to Walsh Tarlton
- Final water line tie-ins next week, weather permitting
- Striping from Redbud Trail to Camp Craft Road to reflect ultimate configuration (anticipated Feb. 22- 24, weather permitting)
- Expand the roadway from Camp Craft Road to Westlake Drive (anticipated Feb. 22- 24, weather permitting)
- Expand the roadway from Westlake Drive to Walsh Tarlton Lane (anticipated late 2019, weather permitting)
- Roadway expanded from Redbud Trail to Camp Craft Road
- Sidewalks and shoulders installed from Redbud Trail to near Buckeye Trail
- Water line installed and active from Redbud Trail to Westlake Drive and Blueridge Trail to Bulian Lane
- Wastewater lines installed on Buckeye Trail, McConnell Drive and Westhaven Drive
- Storm sewer installed from Redbud Trail to Westlake Drive
- Signals installed at Camp Craft Road, Westlake Drive, and Westbank Drive
- Water line installed from Redbud to Walsh Tarlton
- Overhead utilities