Duplex fire in southeast Austin caused by malfunctioning water heater

Travis County

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A second-alarm fire in a duplex home in southeast Austin Monday afternoon was caused by a malfunctioning water heater, the Austin Fire Department said.

Firefighters were called to the 2-story home on Bear Paw Trail, located in a neighborhood just north of Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, at 3:17 p.m.

Photos posted by the fire department showed heavy smoke and flames going through the roof.

Nine people were displaced by the fire, including five children. The displaced are being helped by the Red Cross.

No injuries were reported. AFD says the duplex is a total loss, with damage estimated at $125,000 and another $25,000 to the building contents. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Austin-Travis County

More Austin-Travis County News

Tracking the Coronavirus

Coronavirus Cases Tracker

Latest Central Texas COVID-19 Cases

More Coronavirus Live Blogs

Trending Stories

Don't Miss