AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Lower Colorado River Authority said Friday night new test results now detect cyanotoxin in solid organic matter taken from the east side of Hudson Bend in Lake Travis.

This comes after initial tests for blue-green algae toxins came back negative earlier this week from the area.

The LCRA’s Clara Tuma said Thursday the agency collected more samples from active algae, decaying algae and other vegetation near Travis Landing on the east side of Hudson Bend for more testing.

Those test results came back late Friday, the LCRA said, and did detect the presence of cyanotoxin. The samples were taken from solid organic material on the edge of the shoreline.

The LCRA is strongly advising dog owners to stay clear of the algae accumulations near Hudson Bend. So far, one dog has died, and five others are sick from the algae in that area. Another dog also died in late January after playing in the Comanche Point area across from Hudson Bend, the LCRA reported.

While they haven’t received any other reports about other areas of the lake, LCRA said algae may still be present. The authority wants owners to use their best judgement and warns that dogs should not play in or eat algae. They should also avoid areas of stagnant water or water that has decaying matter on it.

“For now, we continue to recommend people do not let their dogs play in the water in the Hudson Bend area of Lake Travis,” Tuma said Thursday.

Cyanotoxin is found in blue-green algae when it is producing toxins and can be fatal to dogs and other animals, the LCRA said.

Reports started coming into the LCRA Monday about dogs getting sick after swimming in Hudson Bend. One dog had a seizure and died. One of the symptoms of cyanotoxin exposure in dogs is seizures, so that was one of the reasons that prompted LCRA to test for the toxin.

KXAN’s Tahera Rahman talked Tuesday to the breeder of the dog that died after being in the Hudson Bend area of the lake. Crystalyn, the owner of Regency Ranch Golden Retrievers, said she was happy to see the LCRA move so quickly to test the water and warn the public.

“The main goal was to let other people know that this is happening and that there could be a danger,” Crystalyn said. “I am extremely overwhelmed and happy that this information is getting out there.”

Crystalyn said the owner of Hamilton, the dog she bred, told her the story of how he died.

“He ended up having a seizure, going into respiratory distress and then cardiac arrest,” Crystalyn said.

Even more test results are expected next week, the LCRA said.