SAN MARCOS, Texas (KXAN) — Approximately 1,100 students missed school at San Marcos High Monday after a social media post incorrectly claimed that students had said they would bring guns to school on Monday, according to San Marcos CISD.
The post, made by a parent, reads in part: “I’ve been informed that there have been a couple of kids saying they are bringing guns to the school on Monday. Following the riot/fight that broke out last week this is quite worrisome and highly possible. I will be keeping my son home from school tomorrow and until the school gets this (expletive) sorted out he will remain home.”
Video shared on social media shows a large fight in the school cafeteria the previous week.
District superintendent Michael Cardona responded to the Facebook post and subsequent absences with a letter home to parents Monday.
In it, Cardona says the San Marcos Police Department investigated and determined there was not a credible threat.
“As parents, you deserve to know when legitimate incidents occur on a campus,” Cardona wrote. “However, the false social media narratives cause unnecessary chaos. I’m asking for our community to come together to make this stop.”
Cardona suggests that rather than taking to social media, parents should report safety concerns to campus administrators, police, or iwatchtx.org
Texas pays the district roughly $30 a day per student on campus. With so many students absent from the high school Monday, SMISD lost $33,000.