San Marcos creates task force to close ‘housing gap’

Hays

SAN MARCOS, Texas (KXAN) — The city of San Marcos is looking at ways to close the “housing gap” created in the city in recent years.

According to the 2012-2016 American Community Survey, the median family income in San Marcos is $46,736.

If housing accounts for a third of family income every year, half of the families in San Marcos can buy a home priced at no more than $154,200. But according to 2017 Multiple Listing Service (MLS) Data, the median price of all homes and condos sold in San Marcos last year was $200,200.  

“It’s very challenging to find housing in San Marcos right now,” said San Marcos planning manager Abby Gillfillan. 

Gillfillan says only 29 percent of those living in San Marcos own their home, the other 71 percent rent. “Home ownership is a real sign of stability within a community,” she said.  

The city has recently established a Workforce Housing Task Force that will assist city council in developing a plan to address these housing challenges. The task force is composed of 20 community leaders.  

“Right now we’re seeing there aren’t enough people in our community that are able to make that choice, to be able to own a home,” said Gillfillan. 

Gillifllan says the task force will look at ways to provide different types of housing choices other than the large apartment complexes and single-family homes the city has seen pop up recently. 

The task force hopes to make its final recommendations to council in the fall of 2019.

The group will meet a minimum of once every three months. The first public meeting of the task force will be held next Thursday from 12 to 2 p.m. in room 3 of the San Marcos Activity Center.  

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Austin-Travis County

More Austin-Travis County News

Tracking the Coronavirus

Coronavirus Cases Tracker

Latest Central Texas COVID-19 Cases

More Coronavirus Live Blogs

Trending Stories

Don't Miss