SAN MARCOS, Texas (KXAN) — After about a week in the hospital fighting for his life in a coma, the family of a 24-year-old man said he died after being hit by a night lounge bouncer.

Emmett Worsham’s family said he was trying to get into the Red Room Lounge when he was denied entry by the bouncer at the door, Milton Heyliger.

San Marcos Police issued a manslaughter warrant for Heyliger, as of Monday.

“The police came to my mom’s house in the middle of early in the morning, you know, and told her and my little brother was in an accident,” Emmett’s sister, Gwyneth Worsham, said.

According to Emmett’s brother, McLean Worsham, Emmett knew the owner of the lounge and called him once Heyliger wouldn’t let him in.

McLean said that’s when Heyliger assaulted his brother, knocking him unconscious. From there, McLean said he fell off a high curb and landed head first. McLean told KXAN his brother experienced severe bleeding.

“I’ve never seen 16 missed calls from my sister, in my life,” Worsham said. “I just remember thinking in my head, there’s an emergency, please don’t let it involve my little brother.”

The Red Room Lounge told KXAN in a written statement that witnesses said Emmett was verbally assaulting and threatening a woman outside of the lounge and tried to force his way to skip the line.

“He then started threatening/assaulting Heyliger, which resulted in him getting hit and losing footing off of a sidewalk ledge and hitting his head on the street,” the lounge told KXAN. “The female patron Worsham verbally assaulted was actually the one to call 911 as soon as the incident happened.”

“Our trained door staff checked for a pulse, performed sternal rubs and stayed with Worsham until an ambulance arrived. Worsham is a good friend of the owner of Red Room. We are deeply saddened by this tragedy/accident and are planning future fundraising events and actively donating to Worsham’s GoFundMe. Upon hire all employees undergo a background check. If there’s any prior charges, we give them a chance to explain,” the lounge said.

Milton Heyliger was arrested and charged for aggravated assault on Sunday, Dec. 12. He did however post bail and was released on Friday, Dec. 17.
Milton Heyliger was arrested and charged for aggravated assault on Sunday, Dec. 12. He did, however, post bail and was released Friday, Dec. 17.

Heyliger has since been fired, the lounge told KXAN.

Heyliger was arrested and charged for aggravated assault on Sunday, Dec. 12. He did, however, post bail and was released Friday, Dec. 17.

Emmett’s family wants to know why he was allowed out of jail before anyone knew their brother would survive, especially because Heyliger has a criminal history.

KXAN reported on his criminal history of assault in 2019. Heyliger was arrested for causing more than $3,000 in damages to cars and assaulting a man who tried to stop him.

“This guy has an arrest record. We don’t understand why you would hire a peacekeeper that has a history of disturbing peace,” Worsham said.

KXAN confirmed Heyliger pleaded no contest to a 2019 assault charge, served 20 days in jail and was on probation for a criminal mischief charge when the Red Room incident happened.

The lounge said it gives all employees a chance to explain past run-ins with the law.

Emmett’s family just wants someone to be held accountable for his death.

“He was an incredibly intelligent, handsome young man,” Worsham said.

Heyliger doesn’t have an attorney listed on his public arrest documents. However, KXAN did try to reach out to him directly but was not able to get in contact with him.

Emmett’s family started a GoFundMe to help with medical bills. Money raised will now be used for those expenses and Emmett’s funeral.

San Marcos police have not been able to find and re-arrest Heyliger on the new charge as of Monday night.