AUSTIN (KXAN)- Here’s some ideas from our partners at Free Fun in Austin.
- AISD Back to School Bash– Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to noon. Presentations on safety and educational best practices will help prepare students and parents for the first day of school and beyond. Nurses from Dell Children’s/AISD Health Services will provide FREE vaccinations (families must present student shot records), and Kids Vision for Life Central Texas may be providing free vision exams and eyeglasses. FREE backpacks filled with school supplies (while supplies last) will be given to Austin ISD students (must be present to receive). Plus, there will be door prizes and more. FREE! View information on free shuttle buses here. Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Austin Summer Musical for Children:The Big Bad Musical – Saturday at 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. Sunday at 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. The notorious Big Bad Wolf is being slapped with a class-action lawsuit by storybooks of quirky characters who want to get even: Little Red Riding Hood, her Grandmother, the Three Little Pigs and the Shepherd in charge of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. With Sydney Grimm as the commentator on live Court TV, the two greatest legal minds in the Enchanted Forest – the Evil Stepmother and the Fairy Godmother – clash in a trial that will be remembered forever after. Tickets available ONLY at the door 30 minutes before show times. FREE! George Washington Carver Museum, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Austin Bollywood Day– Saturday from 6-8:00 p.m. Bollywood Day is a FREE festival showcasing Indian culture, Indian food, clothing, music, vendors, and contests. The festival will culminate in a record-breaking Bollywood dance attempt, where dancers and non-dancers alike participate in one massive dance number. This year the goal is 3000 people of all age groups and ethnicities dancing together. Help make it happen! Practice sessions for the dance will be held every hour on the hour at the venue. Texas State Capitol, 1100 Congress Ave, Austin.
- H-E-B Free First Sunday: Summertime– Sunday from Noon to 5:00 p.m. Enjoy FREE exhibition admission all day and special family programs from 12-3:00 p.m. Capture your favorite summer memories with a handmade piece of art with Smudge Studios. Enjoy a summertime-themed storytime and take something home to remember your summer adventures. Strike a pose with summer themed props and snap a picture to capture the memory. Plan your very own National Park with help from the Junior Ranger from Waco Mammoth National Monument. Review your favorite summer book and leave it behind for others to get ideas for their next summer read. FREE! Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N Congress Ave, Austin.
- 6th Annual Austin Splash Mob– Sunday at 2:30 p.m. Start dry, get wet! Bring your squirt guns, all filled up. Bring water balloons, a water cannon, laser-seeking water grenades, a truck with a water tank and hose, or whatever you’ve got. It’s going to be a soakin’ good time. FREE! 6th and Trinity Streets, Downtown Austin.