AUSTIN (KXAN) — The surviving victim of a deadly crash in June took the stand Wednesday to confront the drunk driver that took the life of her boyfriend and unborn child.
Estefania Soto, 26, has spent her days in various hospital rooms since the crash on June 10. She and her boyfriend, 28-year-old Raul Diaz Jr., were on a motorcycle on Farm to Market 973 near FM 969 in east Travis County when they were hit head-on by a truck.
The crash killed Diaz and resulted in the premature birth of their child. Soto, 26, was only six months pregnant. Their baby was delivered through a C-section after the crash and passed away shortly after.
Police arrested the driver of the truck that hit them, 38-year-old Cesar Corona-Quiterio, on charges of intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault. He is also being held for an Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainer.
Last week, Corona-Quiterio pleaded guilty to intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault. Along with the guilty plea, he agreed to a combined 21-year sentence.
Corona-Quiterio returned to court Wednesday to listen to Soto take the witness stand and detail how this event, the deaths and injuries have impacted her life.
Patricia Morales, Diaz's mother, also took the stand to read an emotional letter to the defendant.
APD warns, carjackings on the rise in Au
After 45 years, locally owned family bus
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- After 45 years, locally owned family business passes to new owner
- Ex-Baylor student can graduate from Dallas-area university
- Texans hopeful new Apple campus will bring jobs, hire local graduates
- Post-Harvey report outlines steps to prepare Texas for future storms