AUSTIN (KXAN) — If you want another transportation option while you’re exploring Austin, Uber is launching its dockless electric bike share service JUMP.
JUMP bikes are electric, which makes it easier to get up those hills. Uber says renters should still lock the bikes to bike racks and street signs when done riding. To rent a bicycle, customers can use the Uber or JUMP mobile apps.
“We believe bikeshare will be a permanent cornerstone of Austin’s transportation system, and give Austin residents yet another option to move about the city. Affordable and environmentally friendly, bikeshare has the potential to ease congestion and helps to support the City of Austin’s Smart Mobility Roadmap,” said Ryan Rzepecki, Co-founder and CEO of JUMP bikes.
Uber acquired JUMP in May and is currently operating in several cities across the country.
How to Use
- Tap Bike in the menu of the Uber app.
- You’ll see the available JUMP bikes around you, and can select one to reserve.
- The app will give you a pin number so you can unlock your bike.
- Download the JUMP Bikes app to create an account.
- Use the in-app map to find and reserve bikes – or simply walk up to a bike and enter your account number and four-digit pin.
Dockless bikes and scooters have become increasingly popular across big cities and those cities have scrambled to create ordinances to make sure transportation rules are followed. At the end of April, the city of Austin passed an ordinance requiring permits for all dockless transportation companies.