AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin police officer who died after a Saturday morning SWAT standoff in south Austin has been identified as senior officer Jorge Pastore, APD interim chief Robin Henderson said in a social media post Saturday night.

The Austin Police Department said it responded to a 911 call reporting a stabbing at a home in the 9300 block of Bernoulli Drive at 2:49 a.m.

APD said officers entered the house in order to free other victims. When they did, the suspect shot at the officers. Those officer retreated from the home in order to call in SWAT.

SWAT arrived at the scene just after 3 a.m. An exchange of gunfire occurred when SWAT attempted to enter the home. Pastore and another officer were hit by gunfire.

According to APD, the officer-involved shooting occurred at approximately 4:15 a.m.

APD said there were two dead civilians found in the house where the incident occurred, and the suspect died from their injuries.

ATCEMS evacuated the injured officers to Dell Seton Medical Center where Pastore died. The injured officer was stable, Henderson said at a press conference earlier in the day. Sources said other officers involved in the shooting were processed at a police substation.

Pastore joined APD in 2019. He was a patrol officer who also served in APD’s Honor Guard, SWAT Gold Team, Counter Assault Strike Team (CAST) and Special Response Team (SRT). He is survived by his wife, two stepsons, parents and two sisters.

APD held a procession for Pastore from the hospital to the medical examiner’s office.

“We rely on brave people who are in harm’s way when they are serving us. We should never lose sight of that. This event jarringly brings home that truth. The danger and potential loss is not theoretical — it’s very, very real,” Austin Mayor Kirk Watson said in a statement.

According to the Austin Police Association memorial website, this is the first time an officer was shot and killed on duty since 2012. Since then, six other officers have died due to crashes or COVID-19.

This was the third officer shot and killed in the line of duty in 45 years, according to a law enforcement source.