AUSTIN (KXAN) — Some residents who live at an east Austin apartment complex had to evacuate their units after a fire broke out late Saturday night.
The Austin Fire Departments said improperly discarded smoking materials caused the fire to start in a trash bag at The Ballpark North Apartments on Elmont Drive around 11 p.m.
Firefighters said the flames spread to all three levels in a wooden stairwell. Crews were able to put the fire out in a few minutes and kept it from spreading out of the stairwell.
The residents living closest to the stairs had to wait outside while firefighters checked to make sure the fire was out. They were allowed to go back inside about an hour later.
The fire department ruled the cause an accident. The fire did about $20,000 worth of damage.