Northeast Austin homeless camp fire caused by heater used inside tent

Austin
FILE FIRE TRUCK LIGHTS

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Firefighters were called to a brush fire surrounding a homeless camp in northeast Austin Saturday morning.

AFD was called to the fire, located at 75076 Bennett Avenue, at 3:36 a.m. The department said the fire was a half acre large grass and brush fire.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, and one person was injured. They were taken to the hospital by paramedics.

AFD says the cause of the fire was accidental. A propane heater was being used inside a tent.

Due to the fire’s proximity to the creek and the use of firefighting foam, the Watershed Protection Department has been notified.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Austin-Travis County

More Austin-Travis County News

Tracking the Coronavirus

Coronavirus Cases Tracker

Latest Central Texas COVID-19 Cases

More Coronavirus Live Blogs

Trending Stories

Don't Miss