AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin-Bergstrom International Airport needs more Transportation Security Administration agents, so TSA is holding a recruiting event Tuesday.
It will be at Austin Southpark Hotel at 4140 Governors Row from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
TSA said there are full and part-time positions at AUS starting at $21.60 an hour. TSA said it is offering a sign-on bonus of up to $2,000 for those who finish on-boarding at AUS by Sept. 30.
“The advantage for folks in Austin, we also have part-time employment, and we also hire lots of students, so we have lots of college students that work for TSA, and we also pay for college tuition,” said Patricia Mancha with the TSA.
Tuesday’s event will take three to five hours to finish. Here’s a link to sign up for the event.
The TSA requires these minimum qualifications to apply:
- 18 years or older;
- U.S. citizen or national;
- High school diploma, GED or security experience equivalent;
- No previous security experience is required.
“We are looking for someone who is willing to work and has good people skills, because it is a public-facing agency, so you have to be willing work with people and be culturally diverse,” Mancha said.
During Tuesday’s event, you can expect the following:
- Attending an information session to learn more about the TSO position and employment with TSA;
- Applying for the TSO position, if you did not apply online prior to the event;
- Taking a computer-based test (CBT) to evaluate English language proficiency and object recognition aptitude;
- Participating in a structured interview to assess qualifications for the position;
- Completing a medical evaluation, federal drug screening and pre-hire background investigation soon after the event.
Here are some tips from TSA if you want to apply on Tuesday:
- Apply online in advance for quicker processing. Please note a resume and previous work experience are not required for your USAJOBS profile or the TSA application.
- Please bring your smartphone and/or passwords to access your email and USAJOBS account.
- Bring two forms of valid federal or state government-issued identification.
- Consider arriving early to allow more time to complete all components.
- If you don’t feel well, please do not attend.
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes will be available.
- Social distancing protocols will be required with six-foot space areas marked.