AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Independent School District is asking parents of an east Austin elementary school to keep their kids home Friday due to a suspected gas leak.
AISD says the suspected leak was in the kitchen at Allison Elementary School, located at 515 Vargas Road, and students should do their classes remotely if possible. AISD said if students can’t do remote learning and have to do classes in-person, they will be taken Govalle Elementary School at 3601 Govalle Avenue until the issue is resolved.
District officials said people noticed an odor and the Austin Fire Department responded to the scene. Texas Gas Service said the carbon monoxide monitors in the area also went off, and they have since shut off gas service to the building and are working on solving the issue, officials with Texas Gas Service said.