North Austin apartment complex fire caused by unattended cooking

Austin

(Austin Fire Department/Twitter)

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Unattended cooking was the cause of a north Austin apartment complex fire Saturday night.

The department tweeted around 9:45 p.m. about the fire at 8017 Gessner Dr. It’s just north of the St. Johns area and east of Interstate 35.

AFD initially said two adults and two kids were displaced, with the fire contained to one apartment, and control damage to several others.

A firefighter sustained minor injuries.

The damage cost is estimated at $100,000 in structure and $30,000 in content, according to the fire department.

Later, Austin Energy had to cut the power to the entire building where the fire happened — which has 16 units — after firefighters evaluated the electric system. At last check, AFD said they were attempting to contact the complex’s management to make arrangements for those who live inside those units.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Austin-Travis County

Tracking the Coronavirus

Coronavirus Cases Tracker

Latest Central Texas COVID-19 Cases

Trending Stories

Don't Miss