AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin firefighters are working to figure out what started a fire in a trash compactor at Burlington in south Austin on Saturday.
The fire department got the call to respond to the fire that started in a trash compactor that is attached to the building at 6715 South Interstate 35 just after 8:30 p.m. The department store is just east of I-35 near William Cannon.
The cause of the fire can’t be determined yet because it’s possible that the trash had been smoldering in the compactor for some time, a spokesperson with the department said.
Everyone was evacuated from the store because of a significant amount of smoke that made its way into the building, but no injuries were reported.
AFD’s “Smoke Buster” working to clear a moderate amount of smoke that migrated into the store at Burlington Coat Factory pic.twitter.com/4se7p7jpmW— Austin Fire Info (@AustinFireInfo) November 25, 2018
The store’s air quality has to be restored before it can reopen.