AUSTIN (KXAN) — Fire crews were able to quickly knock down a fire at an apartment complex in northwest Austin Sunday afternoon, said the Austin Fire Department.
It happened at about 2:15 p.m. at the Arbors of Tallwood Apartments on Tallwood Drive near Mopac and US 183. Fire investigators said it started in the fireplace.
As we prepare for a cold front that will move into the area early this week, it’s serving as a reminder to stay safe.
“If you are going to use your fireplace, make sure you have it inspected by a professional if you haven’t had it inspected in a while,” said AFD Division Chief Palmer Buck. “You have to have it cleaned after you have burned a cord of wood is a rule of thumb.”
Investigators said the fire was accidental and that it was caused by the failure of the fireplace or a hose leading gas to the fireplace. They estimated it caused $27,000 in damage.
No one was injured, but two people were displaced and are staying with family, the fire department said.