AUSTIN (KXAN) — A major traffic alert for Mopac drivers this weekend. The Mopac and Slaughter Lane intersection will be closed this weekend from Saturday at 3 p.m. through Sunday at 10 a.m. as crews finish work on the future diverging diamond intersection when the intersection will officially open to drivers.
Detours will be in place throughout the construction. Drivers traveling on southbound Mopac will be detoured to Davis Lane, those traveling on eastbound Slaughter Lane will be detoured to the southbound Mopac frontage road and travel to La Crosse Avenue before making a U-turn. Police officers will be onsite to help direct traffic during the transition, and for up to one week after the diverging diamond intersection has opened.
Final striping, permanent signals and overhead signs for the bridge will be installed by early 2019. In the meantime, additional temporary signage and lane markings will be in place to help motorists travel through the intersection until the permanent signs can be installed.
What to expect on Sunday after the DDI opens:
- Follow the signs and stay in the lines to navigate the DDI
- For motorists traveling straight through on Slaughter Lane, traffic will be shifted to the left on the bridge and exit the DDI to the right
- For motorists turning left onto MoPac, traffic will be shifted to the left on the bridge and will exit the DDI to the left
- MoPac through-traffic should stay to the left and travel under the Slaughter Lane overpass, avoiding the intersection
- Traffic exiting at Slaughter Lane will be forced to turn left or right at the intersection There will be NO through-frontage road access