AUSTIN (KXAN) — From tacos to thai food and kebabs, people will be taking their meals outside Friday for National Food Truck Day. Certain participating mobile meal providers in Austin will also be offering deals to celebrate.
About 13 food trucks around the city are participating, according to the Food Truck Day website. Below are some of the deals in Austin, while other cities’ deals are posted online:
- Emojis Grilled Cheese: Buy one, get one half off
- Pakal Autochthonous (1413 Webberville Road): Buy a meal, get a free taco
- Pizza on Point (411 W. 23rd St.): Buy a pizza, get a free drink
- SAvery Grilled Cheese: Free side
- Mmmpanadas (4209 Airport Blvd.): Free coloring books with an empanada
- Keith’s BBQ: Buy an entree, get a free drink and side
- Stony’s Pizza (9606 N. MoPac Expressway): $1 off slices
- Simpson’s BBQ LLC: Free side or drink
- Bohemian Barbecue: Brisket burger
- No Bone BBQ: Free beverage with all orders
- Kebabalicious (Congress Avenue and Third Avenue): Free “fries inside”
Local trucks have a chance to win $500 from Roaming Hunger, which tracks food trucks nationwide and coordinates catering. The truck with the most people posting about it while using #FoodTruckDay will receive the prize money.
The KXAN News Today team recommends these food trucks:
- Amanda Dugan: Arlo’s, which serves vegan comfort food. She says she loves their burger, and she’s not even vegan
- Sally Hernandez: Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ. She recommends The Real Deal Holyfield, which can fill you up all day
- David Yeomans: Tacos Guerrero. He says that’s his latest favorite and that the tacos are the “best in Austin”
- Chris Davis: Bombay Dhaba, which serves Indian food
- Kate Weidaw: Abo Yousef, which is Mediterranean food.
- John Dabkovich has never tried an Austin food truck. Tweet him @JohnDabkovich and @KXAN_News with your recommendations