Austin

Cat found safe after spending night in burned apartments

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Firefighters stayed overnight at the site of a devastating apartment fire in south Austin, monitoring the unstable structure and keeping tabs on any flare-ups. Then, the Engine 24 crew assigned to the duty heard a "pitiful cry."

On the third floor was Bo, a cat who had somehow survived the flames and hunkered down. The firefighters managed to get up to him and "grabbed one big tough wet cat!" the Austin Fire Department tweeted.

On Monday, two other cats were rescued and returned to their owners. The fire at the Mission James Place apartments displaced dozens of people. Officials say it started around 2:26 p.m. Tuesday at 4009 Victory Dr. from a cigarette and grew to a four-alarm blaze. 


More Stories

Don't Miss