AUSTIN (KXAN) — KXAN is keeping track of the number of homicides in the City of Austin.
As of Sept. 11, 44 homicides have been reported thus far in 2023.
The charts below will be updated as we learn new information. Scroll down for a map of where each homicide occurred.
The chart below shows how the number of homicides reported in recent years changed over time.
Below is a map showing where homicides occurred in 2023. The map is interactive, so clicking on or hovering over a dot will reveal information about that incident. You can also click on a month in the top left to show only homicides that occurred during that month.
The chart below shows the number of homicides reported each month in 2023.
- Jan. 5: APD makes arrest in January north Austin homicide
- Jan. 6: APD makes arrest in deadly south Austin road rage shooting
- Jan. 10: APD: ‘Altercation’ leads to north Austin homicide, suspect arrested within an hour
- Jan. 10: APD: 1 charged after ‘recklessly’ handled gun leads to man’s death
- Jan. 19: Man accused of shooting, killing wife in east Austin home
- Jan. 21: APD identifies victim, suspect in deadly shooting at east Austin gas station
- Jan. 21: Austin-Travis County EMS transports person with gunshot wound from Pflugerville home
- Jan 28: Suspect in northwest Austin hookah lounge shooting arrested
- Feb. 5: 2 dead in north Austin shooting, APD says
- Feb. 7: APD: 1 dead after hostage situation in north Austin home
- Feb. 8: APD arrests suspect related to 2 Austin homicides
- Feb. 11: 1 dead, 1 arrested after north Austin shooting
- Feb. 18: Man charged with murder after neighbor’s body found in his apartment
- Feb. 19: APD identifies victim in weekend downtown Austin homicide
- March 14: Murder affidavit provides more details into man accused of stabbing wife in north Austin
- March 18: U.S. Marshals arrest 2nd woman in north Austin homicide investigation
- March 19: APD: Roommate arrested after man found dead following house fire
- March 21: Police identify man shot, killed on Montopolis Drive overnight
- March 22: APD: Man accused of shooting girlfriend, arrested in east Austin murder investigation
- March 23: Juvenile arrested in southeast Austin homicide; city’s 6th homicide in 10 days
- April 13: APD: Son charged with murder in father’s death
- April 18: APD: East Austin resident shot man in self-defense after he broke into home
- April 18: APD investigating deadly shooting at north Austin apartment complex
- April 20: APD investigating suspicious death in south Austin homeless encampment
- April 27: Victim, suspect identified in suspected murder/suicide investigation
- May 1: Police name woman shot, killed by husband in north Austin
- May 9: Man who died in east Austin homicide identified
- May 15: APD searching for suspects in deadly southeast Austin robbery
- May 22: APD investigating homicide at Southpark Meadows
- June 6: APD: 17-year-old arrested, charged with murder of 14-year-old
- June 7: APD investigating deadly accidental shooting in northwest Austin
- June 19: Man charged with murder after stabbing in north Austin tent community, APD says
- June 30: Person of interest identified in deadly north Austin shooting
- July 2: Man dead following east Austin shooting Sunday evening
- July 15: Police identify man shot, killed in west Austin parking lot
- July 16: Police investigate murder-suicide in southeast Austin
- July 16: APD: 55-year-old arrested in east Austin homicide
- July 16: APD investigating homicide on Airport Boulevard
- Aug. 7: 2 teens arrested in shooting death of Austin 18-year-old
- Aug. 8: 60-year-old arrested in deadly southeast Austin shooting
- Aug. 31: 2 dead, including shooter, and 1 injured in shooting at The Arboretum
- Sept. 9: Affidavit: Man charged with murder after allegedly shooting man following fight at strip club
- Sept. 11: Homicide investigation underway after body found at east Austin park