Firefighter doing well after being shocked during fire at vacant south Austin house

Austin

According to AFD, the home appears vacant

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A firefighter is recovering from an electric shock while crews battled an early morning fire Wednesday. She was taken to the hospital to be treated for non life-threatening injuries and is expected to be fine, a source told KXAN.

She was released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon and AFD says she will be back to work next shift.

The female firefighter was shocked multiple times as she worked around the building. No other crew members were hurt during their response.

AFD reported the fire started at 2:41 a.m. at a vacant house on the corner of South Congress Avenue and East St. Elmo Road. The department says fire crews initially encountered “heavy fire” coming from the house.

After the blaze was put out, fire investigators worked to determine the cause and severity of the damage.

Initially, firefighters believed the house was a residential home but later identified it as a commercial building.

Firefighters battle a fire at a vacant home early July 31 at E St. Elmo Rd and S Congress Ave. (KXAN Photo/Todd Bailey)

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Austin-Travis County

Tracking the Coronavirus

Coronavirus Cases Tracker

Latest Central Texas COVID-19 Cases

Trending Stories

Don't Miss