Accidental fire led to evacuation of downtown Austin’s W Hotel

Austin
w hotel fire 1_612997

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Firefighters put out a second-alarm fire inside the W Hotel in downtown Austin, Wednesday afternoon. People evacuated from the building were allowed back in a short time later.

Crews responded at 2:45 p.m. to the hotel and residential building at 200 Lavaca St. and reported the fire was out at 3:08 p.m.

Fire was found in an eighth floor room after an initial call said there was smoke coming from cleaning machines. The accidental fire was caused by an electrical short in a commercial floor drying fan, AFD said.

No one was injured in the fire, which caused $50,000 in damage.

A spokesperson for the W Hotel said the room was unoccupied and was currently under renovation. “Due to the quick response of our security team and the Austin Fire Department we safely evacuated all hotel guests and talent. The hotel has been cleared by AFD without incident and minimal damage,” said W Austin General Manager, Drew McQuade, in a statement.

The 37-story building features prominently in the Austin skyline, positioned directly behind Austin City Hall and the First Street Bridge. ACL Live at the Moody Theater is located at the base of the high-rise.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Austin-Travis County

More Austin-Travis County News

Tracking the Coronavirus

Coronavirus Cases Tracker

Latest Central Texas COVID-19 Cases

More Coronavirus Live Blogs

Trending Stories

Don't Miss