Monday night apartment fire caused by unattended cooking, AFD says

Local News
(KXAN/Juan G. Salinas Jr.)

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin Fire Department crews worked to control a heavy two-alarm fire at 1322 Lamar Square Drive in south Austin on Monday night.

According to AFD, unattended cooking was the cause of the fire.

“It happens almost every day, really,” AFD division chief Thayer Smith said. “In some form or fashion, we have unattended cooking. Most of them only smoke up the apartment or the house. Other than cigarettes its our most common call type.”

AFD said the smoke alarms operated correctly and alerted residents.

Two apartments below the one that caught fire suffered water damage, and the complex is putting up those resident in other apartments.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Austin-Travis County

More Austin-Travis County News

Trending Stories

Don't Miss