AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Fire Department says a fire that ripped through a home in Southwest Austin early Tuesday morning was started by an electrical fire.

Ganttcrest house fire (KXAN Photo/ Alicia Inns)

The fire ignited in the garage of the house on the 8100 block of Ganttcrest Drive around 5:30 a.m. Firefighters said once the fire started in the garage it moved up to the second story of the home.

Neighbors told KXAN they heard an explosion early this morning that sounded like a car exploding.

The Austin Fire Department Division Chief Palmer Buck says the two men who live in the house, “said they actually heard noises coming from the garage and woke up to investigate. Not any smoke in the house when they started investigating and they noticed a little bit of smoke and exited and saw the fire.”

Fire crews did confirm the two cars in the garage were destroyed. The damage is estimated at $200,000.

The men were able to escape and are staying with some nearby neighbors. Their two cats have been found safely.