AUSTIN (KXAN) — The new school year may have only started recently, but school districts, colleges and universities are already reporting cases of COVID-19 among students and staff members.
The following places confirmed that the novel coronavirus sickened people in their school communities:
- The district announced on June 18 that it suspended its summer workout camps for students after three student athletes tested positive for COVID-19.
- The Baylor University COVID-19 Dashboard indicates there are 275 active cases.
- The university confirmed Aug. 26 that at least 89 students tested positive for the coronavirus since returning to school.
- On Aug. 31, students at residence halls were asked to stay in their rooms for four days because of an outbreak in one of the dorms.
- The district reported three positive COVID-19 cases Aug. 27. The district confirms one student at Burnet High School, one student at Bertram Elementary and one staff member at Shady Grove Elementary tested positive. Eight students are being quarantined as a result, due to possible close contact.
- The district launched a COVID-19 dashboard Sept. 17 to track active cases of students or staff who are on campus
- On Sept. 3 the district confirmed one student at Westlake High School tested positive for COVID-19
- On. Sept. 10 the district said it confirmed three positive cases at Westlake High School last week and one positive case at West Ridge Middle School this week. The district started in-person learning with a small percentage of students in buildings on Sept. 8. The district is conducting contact tracing protocols.
- On Sept. 4, the district confirmed four active COVID-19 cases and 40 people quarantined as a result of possible exposure. One person with a confirmed case was present at the primary, elementary and middle schools.
- Before the new school year began, at least 31 district employees have reported testing positive for COVID-19, though the majority were not working at schools at the time.
Lake Travis ISD
- On Sept. 23, the district confirmed a teacher at Serene Hills Elementary tested positive for COVID-19. The teacher was last on campus Friday, Sept. 18, the district said.
- Leander ISD updates its COVID-19 dashboard each Friday
- The district said Sept. 15 that 47 Rouse High Schools students and two staff members are quarantined, after sending a letter to families Sept. 14 that someone who was on campus later tested positive.
- The district announced on Aug. 19 that one of its employees at Akin Elementary School died “from complications due to COVID.”
- On Sept. 8, Akin Elementary confirmed its second case of COVID-19 but did not say if it was a student or staff member. The school said it contacted workers who may have been in close contact with the person to give them guidance on the next steps, which could include quarantine.
- On Sept. 11, Leander ISD said there was an additional positive COVID-19 case at Bagdad Elementary School.
Liberty Hill ISD
- The Liberty Hill ISD director of communications and community relations said Aug. 28 that four staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 in the district —two from Rancho Sierra Elementary and two from the high school.
- Two students from the high school have also tested positive.
- The district updated their safety protocols on Aug. 25, requiring that staff and students wear a mask at all times unless they are eating, at recess or have a disability.
Marble Falls ISD
- On Aug. 25, the district reported a student who was positive for COVID-19 had been on campus at Marble Falls High School. Three people quarantined and the portion of the school where the student spent time was cleaned.
- A student who attends Mason Elementary School contracted COVID-19 after the district began holding classes in person again.
- The superintendent shared on Aug. 3 that a Mason High School football coach tested positive for COVID-19.
Round Rock ISD
- On Sept. 12, a RRISD spokewoman said an additional staff member at Callison Elementary School reported a positive COVID-19 diagnosis but that there was no need for anyone to self quarantine because there were no close contacts.
- On Aug. 28, Round Rock ISD reported a worker at its Central Administration offices tested positive for COVID-19. The district said they were there on two different days in August. RRISD said nearly all employees are working from home, so it didn’t have much affect. Those who were in the building in the past two weeks and/or may have come in contact with the person have been alerted, RRISD stated. The district said the time the person was infectious did not correlate with the time they were in the building.
Texas State University
- Of 338 active cases, 302 are students and 36 are faculty/staff, the Texas State COVID-19 Dashboard shows.
- As of Aug. 27, the university has had 146 students and 34 faculty or staff test positive since March 1.
- On Aug. 26, it reported one faculty/staff member and one student tested positive
- The district reported on Aug. 26 that three additional employees at each of its school campuses contracted COVID-19.
- The Thrall Independent School District shared on Aug. 18 that an employee at Thrall Middle School tested positive for COVID-19, which came a week after in-person classes began there.
- The UT Austin COVID-19 Dashboard shows that as of now, the 601 active cases include 413 students and 188 faculty/staff.
- On Sept. 1, the university reported a total of eight cases among students, the highest number the university had seen since July 5. It also said 25 students had tested positive since Aug. 17, when students first began moving back on campus.
- On Aug. 31, the university reported two students in on-campus dorms tested positive for COVID-19.
- As of Aug. 27, the university has reported 488 cases of coronavirus in its community since March 1.
- In March, dozens of students who went on a spring break trip tested positive.
- The university also reported more than a dozen football players had tested positive June 18
KXAN will keep updating this story, as more information about COVID-19 cases keeps coming to light.
Are there any cases we need to include? Send us a ReportIt through this form