Man died a year after being shot while walking through Austin yard


More than 14 months after Andrew Brady was shot while walking through a front yard, his shooter now faces murder charges.

A re-indictment has been filed in Travis County, charging Carlos Harris with the crime after Brady died exactly a year after the Feb. 23, 2017 shooting

Although Brady’s family says they are glad Harris will have to answer to the new murder charge, they say it doesn’t take away the pain of losing their loved one.

“I’m still not satisfied,” said Kimberley Blocker, Brady’s mother. 

Blocker says she hopes to get justice to the full extent of the law. 

“[Prison] without parole. He needs the death penalty,” she added. “He took my baby and my baby did not bother anyone. This was a senseless act.”

According to police documents, Carlos Ray Harris, now 29, fired as many as 12 times at Brady — who was 19 years old at the time — striking him eight times.

Police say the shooting happened around 5 p.m. that day in the 5600 block of Purple Sage Drive near LBJ High School in northeast Austin.

The bullets hit throughout his body. Brady was immediately taken to the hospital and Harris was booked into the Travis County Jail the next day, where he has remained since. 

Witnesses told police that Harris frequented a house on Purple Sage Drive and was there when the victim cut across the yard of the house, which is on a corner lot, court documents said.

Harris approached the victim in the yard, and they exchanged some words, witnesses said. But they said that there was no verbal disturbance before Harris pulled out a handgun and fired at him. 

After firing the shots, Harris put his gun in the trunk of a car in the house’s driveway, got in the driver’s seat and fled the scene.

Brady’s family says Harris shot him for no reason. 

“He’s not the child that’ll go bother anyone. He just stayed to himself,” said Blocker. 

“My brother didn’t deserve it. He didn’t at all,” added Melissa Brady, the victim’s older sister. 

In the 365 days since the shooting last year, his family says Brady endured more than 40 surgeries and spent all but a handful of days in and out of the hospital and physical rehabilitation facilities trying to recover from his injuries. 

Ultimately, after medical complications, Brady died, leaving behind his 2-year-old daughter. 

“I feel like I’m still in a dream,” said Melissa. “Seeing my niece run around here asking for him and we can’t just pick up the phone anymore. It’s just all so unreal. So we just try to deal with it the best way that we can.” 

The family says they knew Brady would have a long recovery, but say they were shocked when he succumbed to his injuries.

“We just wanted him to come out of it and be home with us, and be able to just get back to our normal life — even if he wouldn’t be all the way Andrew,” said Brady. “Seeing my brother fight for his life for that whole year like that, he is a true fighter.”

Harris’ first court setting after the re-indictment has been scheduled for May 18.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Primary Election Latest

More Your Local Election HQ

Remarkable Women Spotlight: Megan Pinchback

Trending Stories

Don't Miss