AUSTIN (KXAN) — KXAN is keeping track of the number of homicides in the City of Austin.
As of May 22, 30 homicides have been reported thus far in 2023.
Last year, 71 homicides were reported, down from a record-high 88 in 2021.
The charts below will be updated as we learn new information. Scroll down for a map of where each homicide occurred.
The chart below shows how the number of homicides reported in recent years changed over time.
Below is a map showing where homicides occurred in 2023. The map is interactive, so clicking on or hovering over a dot will reveal information about that incident. You can also click on a month in the top left to show only homicides that occurred during that month.
The chart below shows the number of homicides reported each month in 2023.
- Jan. 5: APD makes arrest in January north Austin homicide
- Jan. 6: APD makes arrest in deadly south Austin road rage shooting
- Jan. 10: APD: ‘Altercation’ leads to north Austin homicide, suspect arrested within an hour
- Jan. 10: APD: 1 charged after ‘recklessly’ handled gun leads to man’s death
- Jan. 19: Man accused of shooting, killing wife in east Austin home
- Jan. 21: APD identifies victim, suspect in deadly shooting at east Austin gas station
- Jan. 21: Austin-Travis County EMS transports person with gunshot wound from Pflugerville home
- Jan 28: Suspect in northwest Austin hookah lounge shooting arrested
- Feb. 5: 2 dead in north Austin shooting, APD says
- Feb. 7: APD: 1 dead after hostage situation in north Austin home
- Feb. 8: APD arrests suspect related to 2 Austin homicides
- Feb. 11: 1 dead, 1 arrested after north Austin shooting
- Feb. 18: Man charged with murder after neighbor’s body found in his apartment
- Feb. 19: APD identifies victim in weekend downtown Austin homicide
- March 14: Murder affidavit provides more details into man accused of stabbing wife in north Austin
- March 18: U.S. Marshals arrest 2nd woman in north Austin homicide investigation
- March 19: APD: Roommate arrested after man found dead following house fire
- March 21: Police identify man shot, killed on Montopolis Drive overnight
- March 22: APD: Man accused of shooting girlfriend, arrested in east Austin murder investigation
- March 23: Juvenile arrested in southeast Austin homicide; city’s 6th homicide in 10 days
- April 13: APD: Son charged with murder in father’s death
- April 18: APD: East Austin resident shot man in self-defense after he broke into home
- April 18: APD investigating deadly shooting at north Austin apartment complex
- April 20: APD investigating suspicious death in south Austin homeless encampment
- April 27: Victim, suspect identified in suspected murder/suicide investigation
- May 1: Police name woman shot, killed by husband in north Austin
- May 9: Man who died in east Austin homicide identified
- May 15: APD searching for suspects in deadly southeast Austin robbery
- May 22: APD investigating homicide at Southpark Meadows