AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Police Department has officially identified the officers who shot and killed a 21-year-old in downtown Austin last week.
Aquantis Jaymond Griffin, 21, died during the early mornings hours of Friday, Aug. 21, outside of a NBA Youngboy concert.
Police say when officers responded to calls for shots being fired in the area of the Terminal 6 club located at 302 East Sixth St. around 1 a.m., they saw two people with guns firing. As the officers approached the alley on Trinity Street north of Sixth Street, they heard gunshots and said Griffin ran toward them with a gun in his hand, police say.
Assistant Chief Troy Gay says officers gave him multiple commands to stop, but “the individual’s weapon points in the direction of these officers.”
One witness tells KXAN they shot video that appears to show a man running away from the officers.
Eight officers fired their firearm, a ninth officer only fired his Taser. All of the officers except for one are assigned to the Downtown area. The officers involved in the shooting:
Officer Stephen Johnson. He has been with department for four years and currently assigned to the Downtown Area Command
- Officer Joseph Cast – 4 years with APD
- Officer Daniel Mathis – 4 years with APD
- Officer Alberto Martinez – 3 years with APD
- Officer Wesley DeVries – 6 years with APD
- Officer Joseph Moran – 1 year with APD
- Officer Justin Halbach – 3 years with APD
- Officer Christopher Salacki – 5 years with APD
- Officer Lewis Holland – 4 years with APD (deployed Taser only)
All nine officers are currently on paid administrative leave as various agencies investigate the shooting.