AUSTIN (KXAN) — Four skimmers were found at a northwest Austin 7-Eleven gas station on Thursday, the Texas Department of Agriculture said.
Skimmers were found on pumps 1, 2, 3 and 4 at the 7-Eleven at 10207 Lake Creek Pkwy — near US 183 and State Highway 45 — the agency said. The Austin Police Department was called to the gas station to remove the skimmers.
The TDA has the following advice to avoid becoming the victim of a skimmer:
• Use pump closest to storefront, in the line of sight of store personnel
• Before pumping, check for unusual Bluetooth signals with ID of string of numbers and letters; might be a skimmer
• Check that security tape on pump cabinet has not been damaged. Torn tape might indicate cabinet opened without store personnel’s knowledge
• Safest bet is to pay inside with cash
• Always save the receipt and monitor your bank statements after filling up.
• If you think you’ve been skimmed, contact 1-800-TELL-TDA and we will send an inspector to check it out.
A skimmer was removed from another 7-Eleven along North MoPac Expressway on Monday.