KILLEEN, Texas (KXAN) — A Fort Hood soldier who was found dead in his front lawn in January died from synthetic marijuana poisoning, according to the Killeen Police Department.
When emergency crews initially found 24-year-old Kendrick Sneed, there were some concerns Ebola was a factor in his death because he had recently returned from West Africa. Police called in the HazMat team and crews removed Sneed’s body from the scene and packaged his personal belongings in protective bags.
His body was taken to the medical center at Fort Hood to be tested for Ebola; the test showed Sneed didn’t have Ebola.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the number of emergency departments visits involving synthetic cannabinoids increased from 11,406 visits in 2010 to 28,531 visits in 2011.
In Austin, there are have been several outbreaks of K2 poisoning in the past years.