AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin might be a little bit nosier the next couple of days as motorcyclists rev up their engines for the annual ROT Rally.
Thousands of bikers will attend the Republic of Texas (ROT) Rally June 9 through 12 at the Travis County Expo Center. Ahead of the event, Austin police are giving bikers tips to keep their motorcycles safe from theft.
Police claim criminals will be on the prowl for high-end unattended motorcycles. Even if you have your keys on you, thieves often lift unsecured motorcycles onto trucks or vans. The bikes are then sold to online buyers or parts are removed for a quick sell.
The Austin Police Department will also be conducting a no refusal initiative during ROT Rally. This initiative will begin Friday, June 10 at 9 p.m. and end Sunday, June 12 at 5 a.m. The hours of operation for this initiative are 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. each day.Tips to keep your motorcycle from becoming a target:
- Lock forks and disc brakes
- Add an alarm or GPS tracker
- Lock ignition, keep your keys with you
- Attach motorcycle to fixed stationary object
- Don’t keep the title, registration, or insurance in your bike
- Secure motorcycles in well-lit areas or by a security camera
Contact APD’s Auto Theft Interdiction Program from more information at (512) 974-5265.