Editor’s note: The above video shows KXAN News’ top morning headlines from Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024.
AUSTIN (KXAN) – More than 350 CapMetro bus operators did not receive their full pay in January, according to agency officials and the third-party contractor, Keolis. Agency officials say the problem happened because of a change in payroll systems.
The issue came after the CapMetro board voted in September to bring on a new contractor to handle bus operations, French company Keolis, and ended its contract with MV Transportation. The contract will pay nearly $737.7 million for maintenance and operations.
MV Transportation was the contractor overseeing CapMetro’s fixed routes for more than a decade. KXAN investigations revealed several issues under its tenure with the company, including delays and inconsistencies with the paratransit service and an employee who was suspended by the contractor without pay after using her cell phone to call 9-1-1 during a violent encounter on a bus in 2021.
Keolis officials said employees received a notice on Jan. 12 and Jan. 26 about the change in payroll systems, resulting in incomplete payments. The company anticipates resolving the issue for the next payroll on Feb. 9. The Austin American-Stateman first reported the problem.
The company is also issuing checks to employees as discrepancies are discovered.
“Keolis is working quickly to resolve the matter and taking corrective action to prevent this from happening again in the future,” CapMetro officials said in a statement to KXAN. “Representatives from Keolis remain on-site to assist staff during this time.”
The Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1091 President Brent Payne said Tuesday he was still waiting on additional details about the payroll issues. He is set to meet with the agency on Tuesday morning.
The ATU previously raised concerns to the CapMetro board about Keolis’ track record with unions and alleged unfair labor practices. The union asked the board to reject the company’s bid.