AUSTIN (KXAN) - Six people lost their homes early Tuesday morning after an overnight fire burned through a duplex in East Austin and destroyed a carport.
It happened in the 6303 block of Vioithia Drive near U.S. Highway 183 and Manor Road.
The Austin Fire Department got a call about a building on fire at 12:55 a.m. Fire crews were able to put out the fire within 15 minutes, but both sides of the duplex were badly damaged.
Nobody was injured, but firefighters had to rescue a dog, which was taken to a vet for care.
After an investigation, AFD officials said the fire likely started in a utility room, where an electric generator ignited combustibles. The fire destroyed the carport and heavily damaged the duplex units on both sides.
The Red Cross will help the people now without a home find a place to stay for a night.
The freezing and near-freezing rain that swooped into Central Texas overnight prompted numerous school closings and delays and made for a harrowing morning commute on Friday.
The Round Rock-based computer giant, Dell Inc., is offering some workers voluntary buyouts as it seeks to trim costs and boost productivity.
The Austin Humane Society reopened to the public Friday after closing its doors for six weeks.
A Lago Vista couple faces child endangerment charges after authorities found their home covered in feces and garbage.
It's the first criminal charge following a yearlong criminal investigation into the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas.
Cold temperatures forecast for Saturday morning have prompted Georgetown officials to cancel the parade associated with the annual Christmas Stroll. The Stroll, however, will go on.