AUSTIN (KXAN) - University of Texas assistant coach Tina Thompson has been named Head Coach at the University of Virginia. The Hall of Fame player joined Karen Aston's staff in May of 2015 and was promoted to associate head coach last September.
"I am extremely excited about the opportunity to become the next women's basketball coach at the University of Virginia,"Thompson said.
"My sentiments mirror that of my 12-year old son Dyllan. When I told him the great news he said 'Wait! Mom are you kidding? I mean wow, Isn't that a good program? Correction. Great program! I am so happy for you. We will do reat things there!' My response to him was that I could not agree more.
I am forever grateful for the opportunity Karen Aston and the University of Texas provided me. My experience there has helped to prepare me for this moment."
Thompson was inducted was voted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. She will be inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame on September 7th in Springfield, Mass.
Thompson is the third assistant under Aston to get head coaching jobs. Jalie is the head coach at North Texas and Travis Mays is the head coach at SMU.
The Latest: Guice among those in green
Injured Steelers LB Shazier makes
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- The Latest: Kim refers to N. Korean defectors during summit
- EPA chief gets congressional scolding over ethical lapses
- City moves to protect homeowners from predatory home flipping
- No, Johnny, no: Browns sure top pick Mayfield is no Manziel